Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Are you serious?


In America, we are very fortunate to have the freedom to do what we wish with our time. For example, you could stay home and watch television all day if you wanted. You could also spend your whole day on your computer. You could even spend your whole day playing sports, or focusing on your hobbies. All of these things seem very innocent until you stop to think: “Is there a better way to spend my time?” Well if you’re reading this blog, I’m positive you know the answer already, but I challenge you to actually think about it. Are we taking our time seriously? 

According to BLS American Time Use Survey, A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American spends about five hours per day watching television, which equates to about 9 years of their entire life. How many of us can honestly say that we spend five hours every day reading our Bible? Certainly I cannot make that claim. It is, to me, almost scary to consider just how we spend our time. Every second we have is a gift from God, but do we always treat them that way? Do we dedicate the time that God has given us to Him? We can do so many profitable (not materially but spiritually) things with our time. Look at the amazing things that Jesus did while he was on this earth. John 21:25 “And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.”  It is all too easy, I know, to get distracted by all of the entertainment, “priorities”, and laziness of this world.

Laziness is probably Satan’s best tool. The saying “Idle hands are the devils workshop” is not found in the Bible. However, 2 Thessalonians gets the same point across. An example of this would be waking up Sunday morning and thinking to yourself “I’ve only gotten a few hours’ sleep last night, I think I’ll sleep through Bible study and just make it to Worship.” Or saying to yourself “I’ve had a long day, I don’t want to read my Bible. I just want to relax.” If you’ll notice, most statements that begin with “I” don’t put God first. When we put our own desires before the desires of God, our salvation is at stake.

To anyone who has ever read any of the New Testament, it is obvious that the Apostles, and Jesus’ disciples did not put being a Christian on the backburner. They went into it whole heartedly, not when they felt it was convenient (at that time, it was never continent). We should always have our priorities as Christ had His, not how the world puts them. Luke 2:49 “And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” Take a look around- everything you see is only temporary. Nothing that you can see, feel, hear, or touch will last forever (with the exception of people… kind of). Let’s do everything we can in this life to make sure we will have a better afterlife.
 
I would appreciate any feedback! Also, if you like what you've read, share my blog on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to see the focus you have chosen. Keep studying and remember Psalms 119:11--Thy *word* have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

    ReplyDelete